Friday, July 3, 2009
Grilling Me Softly: Part Two
Welcome to the second installment of Grilling Me Softly. If you'll remember, I'm giving up some of my favorite recipes in the name of the upcoming holiday. So lets get started....
Corn on the Cob Ala My Mom in Nebraska
1-2 Fresh Corn Cob per person
Cracked Black Pepper
1. Grease grill grates and start grill and set to medium high heat.
2. Divide aluminum foil into rectangles slightly larger in size than the corn. Place corn in foil. Season with olive oil, rosemary, black pepper, sea salt and rosemary to taste.
3. Wrap foil around corn cobs, twist ends and place on grill. Turn occasionally to avoid overcooking. Grill about 10 minutes. Unwrap, arrange on platter and serve.
Summer Tomato Salad
1/4c white wine vinegar
1 tsp. finely chopped, chile pepper (serrano, thai, or jalapeno)
3/4 tsp. sea salt
4-6 large tomatoes of varying colors
1c thinly sliced yellow onion
1. In a medium bowl, combine vinegar, salt and green chile. Toss with with onion and set aside for 5 minutes in order for the flavors to blend. Add tomatoes and combine thoroughly. Set aside 15 minutes before serving.
Drunken Angel Fruit Salad
1c diced: pineapple, mango, papaya
1c sliced: strawberries, mandarin oranges, banana
1c. whole: raspberries, blueberries
1c. sugar (or 1/2c Splenda)
2 tbsp. lime juice
2 tbsp. lemon juice
Spiced Rum to taste (for me, 3 tbsp.)
1. Combine fruit in large serving bowl. Add sugar and rum to fruit and combine thoroughly. Set aside in fridge 15 minutes before serving.
Strawberry Chocolate Honey-Pies
3/4c all purpose flour
1/4c unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature (sadly, I never use butter, only margarine for me...)
1 large egg (I substitute 2 egg whites)
1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
1c. semisweet chocolate chips
1 pint strawberry ice cream, slightly softened
1. Make cookies: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking two baking sheets with parchment paper. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
2. In a electric mixer, mix sugar and butter until light. Add egg and vanilla until evenly mixed. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture. Mix in chocolate chips by hand.
3. Spoon dough onto baking sheets, be sure to space them far apart. Spread dough out into rounds. Bake, switching sheets from bottom to top halfway through. Edges of the rounds should be firm, not hard (about 15-20 minutes). Transfer to racks to cool completely.
4. Assemble sandwiches: Spoon some ice cream onto the flat side of half the rounds. Cover with the remaining rounds. Press gently to form the sandwich. Freeze until firm, approximately 1-2 hours.
Drinks....(everyone's favorite course, I think)
1 1/2c light rum
3c orange juice
3c pineapple juice
3 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
3 tbsp cranberry juice
2 tbsp grenadine
lime, sliced for garnish
1. In a large pitcher combine rum with the juices and grenadine. Stir until well thoroughly blended. Divide mixture between ice filled glasses. Garnish lime and serve.
3 cups freshly squeezed lime juiced (about 25 limes)
2 cups superfine sugar
4 cups cold water
4 cups ice cubes
2 limes sliced for garnish
1. Into large pitcher, strain citrus juice, mix with the sugar and stir until dissolved. Add the water and stir again until combined (I suggest testing a spoonful, you may need more sweetener). Add ice to fill and a few lime slices.
Well, there you have it! My favorite summer menu! I hope you can enjoy the recipes I shared with you all.
Have a festive and SAFE holiday weekend!