Sunday, June 7, 2009

How To: Paper Rosettes

Hey everyone! As I mentioned earlier, I am planning a cookout. It will be the first of the season for The Hubbs and I. I'm getting really excited! I had a large design block the other day while working on the invitations and I decided to stop torturing myself and work on creating some decorations. These rosettes are the first ones I've come up with. I'm not sure they'll fit in with my theme (late 50's Tiki theme! Specific-I know, but I've waited such a long time to do this...), but I LOVE paper rosettes and just had to make them!

Here's the step by step with pictures! (You'll have to excuse my pics...my dining room has weird lighting and I missed out on natural light due to rain. Boo.)

You will need:


3- 8.5 x 11 sheets of text weight paper
Double sided tape
Hole Punch
Bone Folder/Ruler
Ribbon
Scissors


First, accordion fold each sheet of paper lengthwise. I suggest 3/4" folds. The ones shown are larger in order to be more easily visible. use your bone folder to smooth out the folds and to make sure they stay straight. If you are experiencing problems, you may try marking out the 3/4" intervals. Use pencil to hide lines and marks most easily.




Then, fold the length of accordion folds in half (end to end). The result will be resemble a fan. Use a length of double sided tape to fasten the ends together, completing the fan. Repeat with the two remaining pieces.


Connect each fan using more double-sided tape. You will see your rosette starting to form. Affix the last two ends together, completing the circle.


Finally, punch a hole, thread any length of ribbon and hang. Once you get the hang of the process, try using paper of all sizes and colors for a different aesthetic. For the best result, try to stay away from "matchy-matchy" colors and opt instead for colors that complement or coordinate with one another. In the picture below, I used a gift wrap sheet (20" x 30") for the large and three sheets of 5" x 7" for the small. The gray rosette is the regular size, using three sheets of 8.5" x 11" paper. I love the way they look together! Tres chic!



Versatility makes them perfect for a number of creative uses. Print a picture or name on a circular card and attach to the middle of the rosette. Then hang from the backs of chairs for a quick and easy seating arrangement. Embellish tables by hanging one at the two front corners. I love to hang them at different lengths from the ceiling to add a little pizazz to an indoor event. Try affixing to tree branches to spice up your next outdoor soiree.

Click here to see a few more pictures of the finished product!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Erin,
    I think you and I have in common the world of Etsy...and we're both Midwesterners, (I'm in Chicago).

    I would love it if you would come back to my blog DISH and dish :)



    Have a lovely weekend,
    Kara
    www.Kwitham.Etsy.com

    ReplyDelete