Thursday, December 31, 2009

A Touch of Reflection


Hello all! I seriously cannot wrap my head around the idea that 2009 is nearing its colossal end. What a year it has been....so many wonderful (and not so wonderful) things have happened this year.

Ever since I was a wee one I have been infatuated with the idea of "Where were you when...?". I remember asking my momma this same question countless times while I was in school. Where were you when Kennedy was shot, when Dr King was marching, when Elvis made his '72 comeback, the Beatles were on The Ed Sullivan Show, when Woodstock happened...the list goes on and on. My mother always had the most amazing stories. She seemed so much larger than life and I couldn't wait to grow up so I could see the world too.

The other day this thought crossed my mind and I was feeling like maybe my life wasn't turning out the way I thought it would. I had always thought that I'd be, I don't know, bigger somehow. That my life would have some sort of impact...that I'd change the world. After a long convo with my Mom, I realized something. I'm still young, and yet, my life has been full of incredible moments. These moments give me my story to tell. They've shaped me along the way and given me my "Where were you when...?" So, after much thought I decided to take the things that impacted my life the most over the last decade and put them into a list (a list to which I am subjecting you)

10. High School Graduation in 2000. (Just a baby, but off to see the world.)
9. First Day of College. (Like the first day of high school, but somehow I felt bolder.)
8. The fall of The Towers on September 11, 2001. (What a day in America that was. This is the day I realized that the world isn't always a safe place.)
7. My first off-campus apartment. (My friend and I got a four bedroom house. I had the time of my life living there.)
6. The announcement of the invasion of Iraq. ( A war should never be easy to start.)
5. My first {out of high school} love. (He was my best friend and he broke my heart)
4. The musical my junior year of college. (I conquered my fear of singing in front of people during the run of Into the Woods.)
3. College graduation. (I got my diploma in the mail and I felt the world open up to me.)
2. The last man-friend I had before The Hubbs. (No one taught me more about toxic relationships than he did.)
1. Meeting, marrying and planning a future with the love of my life. (This one is self explanatory, I think.)

There you have it. My personal Top 10. Cheesy I know, but for me necessary. Have a deliciously wonderful New Year's Eve and lets make 2010 one for the books!


Photo Credit: Heroes of Capitalism

No comments:

Post a Comment